Thursday 5 November 2015

I Am Not My Thoughts

I'm starting to realise that a lot of my problems stem from unhealthy thinking. The importance of thinking ‘right' cannot be emphasised enough.

Everything we do starts as a thought. Every action and reaction begins life in our minds.

The Bible talks about capturing every thought and making it obedient to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5).

For most of my life I have taken the attitude that every thought that comes across my mind is ‘mine'; that it is a reflection of my personality; that it represents the very essence of my being; that every one of my thoughts is truth. This attitude has come from belief that in effect my thought life is who I am.

By taking this belief on board I have let the floodgates of mind swing wide open. The flow of thought has overwhelmed me so much that the result has been a combination of depression, frustration and anger. I believe that this is one of the primary reasons why I have suffered from mental health problems most of my adult life.

My first realisation has been that my thoughts are not me. They do not define who I am. My second realisation is that I can and should challenge my thoughts. Particularly the negative, self destructive ones. This is what I think the writer of 2 Corinthians is talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment